SMART Mobility Enterprise
SMART Mobility Enterprize (the “Mobi”) is an award honoring entrepreneurial ventures that are changing the world – helping to improve the quality of life and revitalize the environment and economy of communities and regions through sustainable transportation (New Mobility). It was conceived and developed by the University of Michigan SMART initiative and its local and international partners with the generous support of the Rockefeller Foundation.
Who would be interested?
- Entrepreneurs would be interested in MobiPrize because it rewards and promotes ventures related to advancing New Mobility and provides a network of like-minded entrepreneurs.
- Big Business would be interested in MobiPrize because it identifies innovative new solutions and business models and responds to and shapes trends and demands for a growing emerging New Mobility market.
- Academics would be interested in MobiPrize because it brings together projects from around the world that are working on Sustainable Transportation solutions, uncovering new approaches and pointing to needed research and education in this growing field.
- International Development professionals would be interested in MobiPrize because it catalogs sustainable transportation solutions arising from emerging demands and shifting demographics, and relates to larger trends in urban living and access to goods and services.
- Investors would be interested in MobiPrize because the wide base of candidates represents not only an exciting investment opportunity but also an opportunity for the betterment of their communities through sustainable transportation.
- Human Rights advocates would be interested in MobiPrize because it fosters innovations across the board, all over the world, from every walk of life in need of transportation solutions.
What is Sustainable Transportation?
AKA New Mobility, sustainable transportation is about moving people, moving goods, and moving less in ways that are cleaner, greener, safer, healthier, more equitable (and hipper).
Why SMART MobiPrize?
Percentage of people in the world now living in cities: 50, and growing.Also growing: the aging population, climate change, social inequity, traffic congestion, and pollution, all affecting the poor and vulnerable even more deeply. In a context like this we just can’t think about transportation the way we used to. Response? “Innovation without regard to resources currently controlled.” Despite all odds, and from every corner of the world, cutting edge services, products, modes, technologies, infrastructures, designs, and systems are emerging to move us a just little closer to more livable, caring communities and more vital and sustainable economies.
These promising seeds of transformation need to be nurtured.
What is SMART?
SMART is a project of UMTRI (the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute) and the Taubman School of Architecture and Urban Planning at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. It undertakes and catalyzes research, demonstration projects (Living Labs), education, and global learning exchange on a range of issues related to the sustainable future of transportation in an urbanizing world.
Recognizing the complexity of the challenge and the sophistication of the innovation required, SMART takes a systems approach to urban mobility, or more broadly, accessibility. As a university-wide initiative, SMART works with local and international partners from diverse sectors and disciplines to understand and develop new theoretical approaches, and to generate and accelerate implementation of practical, innovative, systems solutions. Solutions that tell a holistic and hopeful story for the future of communities and the people in them.
Now Back to the PRIZE!
If you are an entrepreneur with a venture that advances New Mobility, you can apply for the prize.
There are 3 Grand Prizes that include:
- cash prizes
- a trip to an event to receive the prize
- dedicated time with top notch entrepreneurial mentors
Do checkout the Program and Logistics section for more details on the arrangements that we have made for the winners.
But if you don’t win one of the three grand prizes, you are still a winner because you will be listed in the SMART Mobility EnterPrize Register of New Mobility Ventures. This listing profiles your enterprise and connects you with customers, VC’s, investors, other entrepreneurs, and potential collaborators.
How to Apply?
Applying for a MOBI Award (and a SMART Mobility EnterPrize Registry of New Mobility Ventures listing) is easy. If you own or run a legal and currently operating venture that advances sustainable transportation anywhere in the world, you are eligible.
Here’s how it works:
You submit your MOBI Award and EnterPrize Registry application by completing the online form in English. Feel free to move the judges with images, passion, and poetry. Also include hard facts and figures (in the space allotted of course). We very much prefer that you submit online. But if you really cannot, please send by registered mail to: SMART EnterPrize MOBI Award and EnterPrize Register, C/O UMTRI, 2901 Baxter Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48190-2150.
Applications start February 1,2013 midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST) and entries must be submitted (either received online or postmarked) by March 15, 2013 at midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST) to be eligible. Meanwhile you will need to prepare the ground for obtaining appropriate visa documents in anticipation of winning the prize.
A short form of all submissions will be added to the SMART Mobility EnterPrize Registry of New Mobility Ventures. Your listing will appear online for potential clients, partners, and customers to see. This is why you are always a winner. Note however, that entries that do not meet legal requirements, or that are not “up and running” registered businesses will be not be listed or will be removed from the Registry.
A diverse, diligent, and objective judging advisory team will filter, sort, cull and select a short list from the submitted entries.
It will then be submitted to the “Panel of Final Judges” who will select the three winners.
Together, the three prize winners will represent excellence in the following areas:
- Adding value (social, environmental, economic) and connecting seamlessly to the overall transportation sys, serving the urban poor, encouraging young entrepreneurship
Note that these areas are not mutually exclusive.
Winners will be notified, visas will be attained, tickets will be bought, presentations will be made, mentors will be met and learned from, and the award will be awarded for the world to see
Important Note –
Please, do not send unsolicited emails or mail seeking funding support to donor agencies. This will discredit your NGO and can also bring bad reputation to you as an individual as well as a NGO.
Fund raising is a competitive process and you need to follow ethics and not spam donor emails with long, unrelated requests for fund / grant support. If you just keep sending emails seeking support without knowing your donor, your chances of raising funds for your NGO will be drastically reduced and you may be blacklisted as a spammer.
Register in to The Global NGO Registry for FREE to get a systematic process to receive regular funds and grants to support your NGO’s work.
The Global NGO Registry
SUDESH KUMAR FOUNDATION